We recently put a few young people on a work-experience week. Here’s what they had to do!
General House Keeping
- Tour of Building, meet staff, location of fire escape/extinguishers.
- Opening Hours, Light Switches, Heating Controls, General security.
- Cleaning procedures
- Stocking the bar
- Cash register and float
- Bar opening procedures. i.e. ice, lemon, ashtrays, counter layout, machines on.
- Draught beer dispense and glasses
- Bottled beer dispense and glasses
- Optic dispense and glasses, changing optics
- Maintenance during service i.e. tables, ashtrays, counter tops
- Use of till, cash handling
- Glass washing
- Closedown procedures i.e. calling time, clearing up, security checks
- Ordering procedure
- Receiving delivery, checking & signing delivery notes, returns.
- Stillaging, spiling, & tapping cask conditioned beer
- Connecting and tilting of casks
- Cask beer raising equipment, (engine, manual, meter assisted, aspirators)
- Handling Container Beers, connecting, cellar buoy.
- Rotation of product
- Handling Co2 / Mixed gases
- Line Cleaning
- General cellar cleanliness and hygiene
- Maintaining cellar coolers / remote 8’s all ancillary equipment
- Emergency breakdowns
- Fault-finding i.e. Co2 leaks, cloudy cask.
- Post mix mineral units
- Handling and storage of bottled, beers, minerals, wines, spirits.
- Kitchen layout / equipment
- Food storage
- Opening procedures, preparation
- Taking orders
- Preparation of orders
- Use of equipment
- Dish specifications
- Payment procedures
- Closedown, cleaning procedures and general hygiene
- End-of-session till reconciliation
- Recording of weekly sales and expenditure
- Recording of deliveries
- Weekly reconciliation and banking
- Stock reports