Here are 8 top tips to ensure you comply with the new UK Allergen Regulations. Rest assured enforcement will happen with this ‘high publicity’ issue.
- You need a risk assessment of all of the dishes (and drinks) that you offer and identify the specific (offending) ingredients in each offering.
- Train your staff (we run a great awareness course!), keep records of the training and ensure the training is not only generic but also specific to the product range you sell.
- Produce written documentation of the ingredients of each offering which could give rise to an allergic reaction
- Your customers must be made aware that you have identified all ingredients that may give rise to a reaction and that your customers can discuss your menu with any member of staff.
- Remove any risk of cross-contamination through cleaning and good hygiene practices
- You will need to show evidence that you have re-trained all members of staff if a new item is introduced to your menu.
- You will need in a policy in place should anything go wrong. Perhaps someone does have an allergic reaction – what then happens regarding calling an ambulance, giving first aid, etc?
- Phone us on 02392345679 to discuss running a course for your staff